Bitcoin has a huge potential in India. Here are some of the reasons I think Bitcoin can really take off in India –
- Positive Bitcoin wallet downloads in July compared to June, about a 10% rise. This is compared to almost -40% in the United States. This shows that Bitcoin is really picking up in India of late.
- The Rupee is on the fall. The currency, the Rupee, has been on a steady decline, falling by 28% in the last two years. Bitcoin can act as a store of value instead of the Rupee for the savers.
- Inflation has been consistently high, with 5.79% wholesale price index inflation, that is thought to understate the actual retail price inflation. Bitcoin can be a store of value.
- The central bank announced that it will not regulate Bitcoin as of now. This makes it hugely profitable for the local businesses and entrepreneurs to get on board with Bitcoin before the central bank or government change their minds. Innovation can shift from the US to India, owing to current regulatory hurdles in the US.
- World’s second largest population and one of the fastest growing internet user base provides a huge potential for Bitcoin.
- Huge number of unbanked population can now enjoy the benefits of banking through Bitcoin through the right services, similar to mobile phone Bitcoin payments in parts of Africa. 41% of India’s population is unbanked.
- Lack of faith in government and poor implementation of laws can easily force the people towards a free-market based solution to economics. Less than 3% of Indians pay income tax and the government cannot realistically do anything about it.
What do you think will be the major forces that will push India towards a Bitcoin based future?
Like this post? Tip me with bitcoin!
If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider tipping me using Bitcoin. Each post gets its own unique Bitcoin address so by tipping you're not only making my continued efforts possible but telling me what you liked.